Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Worthwhile Windows

The new Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.Microsoft.com/windows) hit the market on Thursday and reviews were already positive before it came out. It looks like MS have a winner after the problems of Vista. Windows 7 is smoother, faster, has a better interface and, most importantly, can run on lower spec hardware (meaning old hardware or cheaper hardware) than Vista could.

Someone showed me a quote for laptops the other day and it wasn't bad in terms of specs and pricing. However, I was pretty surprised that they were Windows XP machines. So here's a heads-up: don't buy a computer that has any operating system older than Windows Vista. In fact, if possible, wait until you can get 7 before you buy. This isn't about having the latest and the greatest. 7 has advantages by itself, that make it worthwhile, but aside from that, unless the experts have shown that the OS is a bad one, getting the latest usually means that you have the one that the vendor, MS, will be supporting going forward. So when getting new computers that come pre-installed with operating systems, you should hold out for the latest.

Having said that, I'm not suggesting that you rush to the market and buy an OS just because it is new. Vista had a lot of backlash (undeserved in my opinion). A lot of people who bought computers that came with Vista downgraded it to XP. It is wise to wait and hear what the word is before deciding to buy.

By the way, if you're a student in the UK or the US with an academic email address (.edu or .ac.uk) you can get Windows 7 for 30 GBP or USD as the case may be. That's a very very sweet deal.

Dej.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Gbenga Ajide said...

I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with the new OS but from the reviews I have read myself, I think it's a winner. I can't wait to lay my hands on it though. I got a free upgrade to Windows 7 offer for my new Toshiba laptop - even though I may have to wait till December to get it. I always considered Vista a 'bridge' to the next big thing; I guess I wasn't too far off.

As usual, nice piece sir.

dej said...

Thanks
Gbenga, Still looking for writers!

Post a Comment