Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Want To Play Wiimbledon!

Two weeks ago, i got heavy with my post about hoaxes. Last week I got even heavier talking about phishing. This week, I think it’s time to lighten up, have a little fun and keep everything under 500 words.

I just got through watching the French Open (hurray Federer) and this got me thinking about the Nintendo Wii. The Nintendo Wii is the most revolutionary game console to come out in a while. What’s great about the Wii is that unlike the other game consoles out there it provides a completely different way for people people to play games. PC games, the Xbox, PS2, PS3 and other game consoles use controllers that are, well controlled, with fingers and thumbs. So you sit back, you couch potato and twiddle your thumbs while hurting your back and arms.

The Wii, on the other hand, comes with a controller called the “Wii-mote”. The idea is that you move the Wii-mote around with your whole arm or wrist, and depending on the game you are playing, the system somewhat emulates your motions. Some of the games can become whole body experience. With Wii Sports Boxing for example, you get three rounds of full motion boxing action with everything except the physical contact (and the consequent pain). With Wii Tennis you face the screen as one of the tennis players and and swing the Wii-mote at the ball on the screen. So you are actually moving around like you are actually playing tennis. Ok, not the most coherent of explanations, but the YouTube video below explains it better (The picture versus the thousand words).

Anyway, Wii owners know what I am talking about already. If you don’t have one the video may help. Wii is a great deal of fun and a lot of people use the Wii game console for a exercise and you can get a very good cardio-vascular work out with Wii tennis and Wii boxing. It is actually used by medical professionals to aid with physiotherapy. You can have a whole lot of family fun with the bowling game and the Wii golf. And that’s just one game. There are a huge variety of games out there that are great for exercise and family bonding and are just great fun.

Now, in Europe and the US, tournaments around Wii Tennis have been created called Wiimbledon. Note the second “i”. It is not a typo. I really do want to play Wiimbledon. I’m pretty certain I could win one of these contests. So I’m calling all Wii owners in Nigeria. Let’s have our won Wiimbledon in Lagos, Nigeria in September. I’m making this up as I go along, I’m looking for a minimum of 50 interested Wii tennis players. If I get 10, I’ll set up a proper site and start to put things together. If you’re interested, drop me a line in the comments field or if you use twitter hit me up there. We’ll figure out time venue, prizes, funding and all together. My handle is @the_dej. (and no we are not under 500 words).

Dej.